The Green Fund was established in 2013 as a way to support students seeking to implement projects improving campus sustainability. ASUPS recognizes the urgency of climate change, and the necessity to work towards improving sustainability. As such, this is a means by which ASUPS can directly support and encourage involvement with sustainability and environmental justice. The money comes from the ASUPS student government fee; three dollars from each student’s fee is set aside for the Green Fund. The fund is administered in two cycles: once in the Fall, and once in the Spring. Students have the opportunity to apply for both. Capital projects may not apply for both cycles for the same project within the same academic year.
The fee should be utilized as a resource for students, either individually or collectively, who have relatively concrete ideas for a project.
Before you apply
Please meet with Director of Student Interests to discuss your project. She can provide additional support, clarify the application, help you finesse your proposal, and connect you with campus partners to help make your application and project more successful.
Projects must perform one or more of the following:
- Provide resources to students and the campus community to encourage sustainability.
- Provide educational benefit in the realms of sustainability, environmental, and climate justice.
- Provide educational benefit to reduce environmental footprint of the the University community.
- Develop capital projects that are able to sustain themselves at least five (5) years into the future that reduce environmental impact of the University community.
- Develop community benefit that connects the UPS campus to other areas of Tacoma while practicing sustainability.
In the 2017-2018 academic year, up to $10,000 may be requested, though smaller projects are encouraged.
Previously Funded Projects
Some examples of previously funded projects include the UPS garden deer fence, the Wheelock Student Center bike repair station, and reusable beverage cups. Please get in touch with Director of Student Interests (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or to see if your project idea is feasible.
Please submit a completed application by October 24th, 2017 at 5 p.m. for the Fall cycle, and by February 20th, 2018 at 5 p.m. for the Spring cycle.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com